Dexcom Announces FDA Clearance of New Dexcom G6 Pro CGM
First and only single-use, professional CGM system with blinded or unblinded mode
Dexcom G6 Pro is the first and only single use, professional CGM that gathers real-time glucose data over a 10-day period and offers both a blinded and unblinded mode. In blinded mode, real-time glucose data is hidden from the patient and reviewed retrospectively with their healthcare professional at the end of the session. In unblinded mode, patients can see their glucose data throughout the 10-day sensor wear to gain insights and make treatment decisions in real time.
Regardless of mode, glucose data gathered by the Dexcom G6 Pro enables providers to adjust a patient’s diabetes therapy plan with precision and customization. Providers can also use the data to help patients modify their daily behavior after seeing the effects that variables such as food, exercise, stress and medication have on glucose levels.
“Dexcom G6 Pro will enable healthcare providers to set up their patients with CGM in minutes,” said
Dexcom G6 Pro features and benefits:
- Easy sensor applicator – Allows for one-touch, simple insertion
- Single-use, disposable sensor – Simplifies session start and end for both patients and providers
- Auto-start transmitter – Expedites startup time to get patients on CGM quickly and easily
Blinded or unblinded mode –
- Blinded: patients wear a sensor for 10 days, then return to their physician’s office to review the data retrospectively (indicated for assessing glycemic variability in persons age two years and up)
- Unblinded: patients can view glucose data in real-time on a simplified mobile app* throughout the 10-day sensor wear (indicated for management of diabetes, in persons age two years and up)
- Continuous glucose readings – Reads glucose values automatically every five minutes
- Alerts and alarms – Warns user of dangerous high and low glucose levels (unblinded mode only)
- Fingerstick elimination – No fingersticks needed for calibration or diabetes treatment decisions†
- Dexcom CLARITY – Allows providers to pull interactive reports and review glucose patterns, trends and statistics retrospectively with their patients
“At Dexcom, we are continuing to drive innovation in wearable health technology,” said
The company expects to begin shipping Dexcom G6 Pro early next year. For more information, visit www.dexcom.com/g6pro.
CGM devices are considered the most significant breakthrough in diabetes management in the past 40 years1 and
* If your glucose alerts and readings from the Dexcom G6 do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions.
† For a list of compatible devices, visit www.dexcom.com/compatibility.
1. Clarke SF and Foster JR. A history of blood glucose meters and their role in self-monitoring of diabetes mellitus. Br J Biomed Sci. 2012;(3)2:83-93.
2. 2014 National Diabetes Statistics Report.
3. Hyperglycemia (High blood glucose).
4. Hypoglycemia (Low blood glucose).
Steve Pacelli, 858-200-0200
James McIntosh, 619-884-2118